Adult Bible B.LA.S.T. Week One “The Church”-10/01/17
A Study of the Church and Christian Denominations
2017-2018 Calvary Baptist Church
Adult Bible Blast
Pastor Bob – Leader
A Study of Christian Denominations
2017-18 Calvary Baptist Church
Adult Bible Blast
Internet based sermons, papers, blogs, studies:
- William Barclay, John Stott, H. Spurgeon, W. Temple, C. John Weborg, Melanie Y. Clark, James Davis Richard Rutledge, Bruce Ball, Scott R. Bayles, Timothy Gardner, Canon Ernest Southcott, Robert Velarde Dr. John W. Tweeddale, R.P. Nettelhorst, Brad Blocksom, J. Todd. Billings
- org, Christianitytoday.com, Religiousfacts.com, Religioustolerance.org
Books and Journal Articles
- Frank S Mead, Samuel S. Hill, Craig D. Atwood: Handbook of Denominations in the United States 13th ed.
- James White: Protestant Worship
A Brief History of Christian Worship
- D.A. Carson: Worship By the Book
- J. G. Davies, Ed.: The New Westminster Dictionary of Liturgy and Worship
- Robert Webber, Ed. Twenty Centuries of Christian Worship
- Louis Berkhof: Systematic Theology
The History of Christian Doctrine
- Donald Bridges, David Phypers: The Waters that Divide
- Mark Knoll: A History of Christianity in the United States and Canada
- Kevin Giles: What on Earth is the Church?
- Henrey Betterson: Doctrines of the Christian Church
- Eddie Gibbs: Church Next
- Craig Van Gelder: The Essence of the Church
- Bruce Shelley: Church History in Plain Language
- Ray Rhodes: The Complete Guide to Christian Denominations
This is still being developed as I go through the study.
Introduction: Let’s reminisce. Tell me about the church you first attended, or the one you attended when you were first saved.
- What did it look like?
- What was the atmosphere, how did it feel?
- What ministries/programs did it have?
- What was worship like?
- Why did you go there?
Truth is, our experience of ‘church’ has a strong effect on how we understand it. But it’s not our experience of ‘church’ that defines it.
Question: What are reasons that people do not go to church; churched or unchurched?
- Christians are judgmental and negative.
- Church is boring.
- Christians are intolerant
- I don’t like organized religion.
- Churches are full of hypocrites
- The church just wants your money.
- Life is better without religion.
- I don’t have the time. I’m too busy.
- I can teach my family about Jesus and not have to go to church.
- I want my children to be well rounded so I want them involved in other activities.
Have you heard them? Have you used them?
Honestly, the way people feel about the church and the reason why so many, even Christians, don’t regularly attend church, is often the result of a misunderstanding of what the church is.